Did you know – 96% of Australian mums start off breastfeeding their baby, three months later, just 39% of babies are exclusively breastfed (Source 2010 Australian National Infant Feeding Survey) At Sage Baby we would like to do more to help improve these rates!
Our new mission at Sage Baby is to help inform, encourage and support women on their breastfeeding journey.
We believe that knowledge is power and hope to pass our wisdom onto parents who are keen to breastfeed.
The benefits of breastfeeding are almost endless!
Below are a few of the benefits :
- Breastmilk contains antibodies that fight of viruses & bacteria – less pneumonia, colds & viruses -reduced risk of developing chronic conditions, such as type I diabetes, celiac disease and Crohn’s disease
- Helps reduce risk of childhood cancers -Research shows that breastfed babies have a better antibody response to vaccines than formula-fed babies.
- Stronger immune system, less likely to get sick even as an adult -fewer hospitalizations and trips to the doctor
- Higher IQ scores
- Lower risk of asmtha
- Lower risk of allergies
- Fewer ear infections
- Fewer respiratory illnesses
- Less Gastrointestinal infections like diarrhea
- Less constipation and gas
- Less eczema
- Lower risk of urinary infections
- More energy – The fat in breast milk is more digestible than that in formula -the energy breast milk provides is more efficiently utilised, than the energy provided by formula.
- Lower risk of SIDS
- Baby experiences less nappy rash and thrush
- Have fewer cavities
- Helps proper development of baby’s jaw and teeth.
- Breastfed babies have a decreased risk of malnutrition, obesity and heart disease compared to formula fed babies
- Breastmilk is a living fluid with fatty acids that are important for baby brain development.
- Breastmilk is always the right temperature, if it’s warm outside your breastmilk will be cooler, if it’s cold then the milk will be warmer
- Baby always has the correct amount, no need to measure.
- Convenient -no washing/sterilizing/preparing bottles.
- No issue finding the right brand of formula, your milk is perfect for your baby.
- It’s free -According to a study published in the journal Pediatrics, the United States would save about $13 billion per year in medical costs if 90 percent of U.S. families breastfed their newborns for at least six months!
- Helps establish strong bond.
- Baby is more likely to accept new tastes when starts eating solids, this is because the taste of breastmilk slightly changes based on mothers diet, slowly exposing baby to new tastes.
- Breastfeeding mums on average get more sleep and it’s much easier to feed directly from the breast than to walk up and make a bottle etc.
- There is much less needed to carry – no need for bottles etc. Just your boobies and go!
This list doesn’t even touch on the benefits for mothers! There is just so many benefits that breastfeeding has and we would like to help support as many new mums as possible to get all the benefits of breastfeeding for themselves and their babies!
At Sage Baby we have launched our new range of products as part of our Sage Breastfeeding range!